
I have always admired people with piercings on the face. I had my
nose pierced over twenty years ago but only wear a small nose pin,
hardly noticeable and I wanted something new and different. After all, I
am forty now. Well, forty one actually. I don't know if I was
experiencing a mid life crisis not but I woke up and decided that I
wanted to get a new piercing. I decided to try the eye brow thing.
I did a lot of searches on google and that and I even watched utube videos. Everything seemed so scary and painful. I was scared watching the videos. I did not remember any pain associated with my nose piercing so why did it all seem so scary.
I dreamt about my eye brow piercing for days and nights and I
realized how much I really wanted it. I was working out at the gym
again, running and wearing my bandana like back in the day. I really had
to have this piercing. "Well" I thought to myself. " I am a mother, if I
could have a baby naturally I dang sure can get a little eye brow
piercing". So I decided to call around salons in my area to see if I
could find someone to do it.
I asked a lot of questions about
how many years experience they had and how sterile the process was and I
ended up finding a hair salon in town and booked an appointment. That night I fantasized again about how great I would look with my new piercing.
I decided to google one more time and saw a few guys in forums
commenting on how unattractive eye brow piercings were on women and how
they should be just for guys. The men thought in majority it seemed that
women should just get belly piercings and nose piercings. Well, believe
it or not, I am not one of those women that is into the belly thing. I
always found those to be slutty. The eye brow piercing to me was showing
a strong woman. Yes, I guess those guys were right. It is sort of
masculine and maybe that is why I liked it.
I am a strong
independent woman. I am athletic, self employed and I pay a lot of
attention to my looks. Turning 41 and still getting asked if I am 10
years younger made me feel sexy and empowered and having this piercing
was taking me back to a place I was twenty years ago. Ok so maybe it is
like a mid life thing but without the crisis part because I felt good
about my life, my child, and this was going to be a reminder to me that I
was capable and strong.
Perhaps I needed to convince myself and this was the only way I knew
how. I always wondered why people got tattoos and I used to think they
were crazy but now I get it. These people want to remind themselves of a
moment in time and keep it close to them forever. It is a journey of
life.
A friend of mine had purchased a beautiful jewelry piece for me from this online accessories store and it was very beautiful. I knew this was the piece I wanted on my face.
So anyhow, the next day I went to a piercing salon with my eyebrow jewelry. I was greeted by a very attractive guy probably ten years younger with tattoos, piercings and jet black hair. He was so handsome. I was embarrassed getting the piercing and he said " Don't be ridiculous, most of my clients that come in here are 50 getting their first piercing" That made me feel great. I showed him my jewelry and he said that it was small enough for me to use. He showed me what he was going to do and I closed my eyes and it was in. No pain or anything!
So my advice to anyone wanting an eye brow piercing is not to watch the videos on utube at all. They look scary but there really is no pain. It was so quick as well. It looked amazing and it was such a rush getting it put in.
The salon gave me instructions on how to care for it. Basically, they said not to touch it and to rinse it with saline 3-4 times a day. That was simple enough. I went shopping, came home and cooked dinner and then at about 8 o clock that evening, the pain started. I had a migraine head ache.
No one told me about any headaches. I searched the terms on google "headaches and piercings" and it seemed to be a normal ocurence so I didn't worry and went to bed. I woke up in the morning and was making my daughter breakfast and the throbbing started again. I tried to ignore it but the head ache was so bad I had to take a Tylenol.
I went online to see if this was normal for day two and it was not. I wanted a piercing so bad I was so stubborn, I kept checking it for infection and there was none. I went back on google and some people said that if the eye brow piercer puts it in the wrong place on your face it may be hitting a nerve and therefore the best thing would be to remove it and put it somewhere else.
At this point, I was really getting upset with the whole thing. Here is something I researched for months, had a pleasant experience with and it all looks like it is going up in smoke. I am not the type to love something so much that I am going to be bothered with taking it out and getting it done all over again. No way. If it does not work, it is not meant to be. I will get over it.
So, guess what. That is what I did. I pulled that stupid thing out within 5 days of having it. The headaches were not worth it. The one day euphoric feeling of getting it done was not worth it either. So there you have it. This really is a lesson well learned because body piercings however beautiful can have side effects that outweigh the benefits. What works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa. Stick with what you know and if you are ever in doubt of anything that can pose a risk to your health like infection or scarring, get rid of it.